In this 21 part series, based on John Maxwell’s book The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, I’m taking you on a journey towards better leadership. I share with you my own leadership lessons and insights. As a John Maxwell Team Member I’ll be happy to deliver transformational leadership training for your team or organization. See the details below.
Part 20 of 21: The Law of Explosive Growth
The Law of Explosive Growth: To add growth, lead followers – to multiply, lead leaders. ~ John C. Maxwell
Up until today our focus was on your journey as a leader. We discussed how you can become a great leader and increase your influence to create your best results. Today we’re taking what we’ve learned to the next level.
There are 3 levels of leadership.
1. Personal development
All the leaders have to start here first. You have to get good before leading others. If you develop yourself, you will experience personal success. You will improve and your results improve as well.You have to get good before leading others. Click To Tweet
2. Team development
At this stage you start looking at your team. You’re doing what we discussed during previous laws – you keep improving as a leader, but you also connect, model and add value to others. At this stage you start attracting followers and you invest your time and effort in them. If you develop a team, your organization (or business) can experience growth.
3. Leaders development
At this stage you start being intentional about working with leaders. You find them, invest in them and support them in becoming THEIR best. At this stage your success starts compounding. Leaders influence others, so once you develop a leader, reproduction never stops. If you develop leaders, your organization (or business) can experience exponential growth.
There are couple important things to remember when it comes to connecting with leaders. We discussed them in previous posts, but I want to pin point the top ones that apply here.
- The Law of the Lid – Your leadership lid is the lid on your effectiveness. If you’re level 6 leader, you will only be able to influence followers level 5 and below. You need personal development to improve and gain better followers.
- The Law of Influence – If you think that you lead, but have no followers, you’re wrong. Leadership is influence.
- The Law of Addition – You must add value to keep your audience.
- The Law of Solid Ground – Focus on building TRUST relationships with your leaders.
- The Law of Magnetism – Like attracts like. To have better followers, you need to step up your game first.
- The Law of Connection – Know who you want to lead. Be clear about who you want to influence. What type of leaders are you looking for? Do you know where to find them?
- The Law of the Inner Circle – Choose your leaders. Be intentional about who you will invest your time, wisdom and energy into. Focus on the top 20%!
- The Law of Empowerment – Help THEM succeed. It’s not about you, so get over yourself!
- The Law of Buy-In – It’s great to have a vision, but people need to buy-in to you first. Who you are and how you act matters!
You get the idea, right?
Whether you’re looking for leaders for your team or organization or you’re looking to create a group program to influence them, conditions are the same… Leaders are hard to find. They don’t flock together. They enjoy flying solo. Most of the time, they like change. This is why organizations struggle to keep them. Organizations like stability. To attract great leaders, you will need to create space that will appeal to them and will allow them to thrive. You will need to continue growing yourself to enable your leaders to continue on their own development journey.Leaders are hard to find. They enjoy flying solo. Click To Tweet
If you are ready to improve as a leader, I’d be honored to help you on this journey.
If you’re an individual, you will want to join my Impact Academy, where I work with individuals from around the globe helping them to improve their leadership and results.
If you’re part of a team and want to step on this journey alongside of your team, contact me here to let me know about your team’s needs. I’ll be happy to offer a customized training based on your team’s needs.
This article is part of a 21-part leadership series.
To your success,
PS: To gain even more insights into leadership, get a complimentary access to my Leadership Breakthrough eCourse below.